3rd Grade, Room 7B – Teachers, Mrs. Teresa Grande
Lesson #23 – April 29, 2019
Last day of class. Students participated in end of the year activities.
Have a nice summer.
Lesson #22 – April 15, 2019
Topic: The Holy Triduum and Holy Week
- Review: Lent lasts for 40 days and prepares us for Easter
- There are 15 Stations of the Cross. (On Good Friday, St. Gabriel’s 8th graders will present the “Living Stations” at St. Gabriel’s church at noon.)
- Holy Week is the most sacred week of the year.
- Special celebrations occur on each of the three days of the Triduum: Holy Thursday, Good Friday, and Holy Saturday.
- Easter Sunday is the glorious day when he celebrate Jesus rising from the dead.
“We Believe” book pages: 177-182
Projects: Students created an Easter prayer card to pray with their families at home on Easter morning.
Lesson #21 – April 8, 2019
Topic: Stations of the Cross
- What are the stations?
- The stations tell the story of Jesus’s journey to the cross and His death
- Students visited the church and looked at the station markers
Lesson #20 – April 1, 2019
Topic: The Kingdom of God Continues to Grow
- The Kingdom of God can be compared to a mustard seed: Although small, it will grow as more people believe in, and follow, Jesus.
- Jesus performed many miracles – special signs that God’s Kingdom was present in Him.
- Pontius Pilate condemned Jesus to death, even over condemning another prisoner.
- Students shared stories about the Passion of Jesus from their Picture Bible
- Palm Sunday is the Sunday before Easter. Palm leaves are distributed to members of the church
“We Believe” book pages: 219-223
Homework/Activities: Lent Crossword
Lesson #19 – March 25, 2019
Confession Night – Examination of conscience and the Sacrament of Reconciliation
Lesson #18 – March 18, 2019
Topic: Lent/ Reconciliation/Healing-Eternal
- Reviewed Confession for next week
- Pray for Healing and Eternal Life (Chapter 9)
- Lenten Video
- Bible Story: Matthew 5-7 and Luke 6 – Jesus teaches the people
“We Believe” book pages: 163-170
Lesson #17 – March 11, 2019
Topic: Celebrating Penance and Reconciliation
- Examination of conscience and the difference between right and wrong
- Students shared experiences from school where forgiveness could occur among classmates
- Sometimes, it’s difficult to forgive, but it’s what God wants us to do
- Lent is a time for fasting, but also we can be forgiving during this time
“We Believe” book pages: 155-160
Lesson #16 – February 25, 2019
Topic: Ash Wednesday and Lent
- What is Ash Wednesday?
- Why do we “give something up” for Lent?
- What does it mean to “sacrifice” something?
- How does Lent prepare us for Easter?
Lesson #15 – February 11, 2019
Topic: St. Valentine’s Day; The Church Prays
- Prayer is listening and talking to God
- Jesus taught His disciples The Lord’s Prayer, also called The Our Father
- We can pray at any time and in any place
- There are different types of prayer
- Share your favorite places to pray
“We Believe” Book Pages: 92-97
Lesson #14 – February 4, 2019
Topic: The Church Teaches Us
- The Church is the Body of Christ
- Each person is an important member of the Church
- Church is like our families
- The Church teaches the true message of Christ
“We Believe” Book Pages: 83-91
Lesson #13 – January 28, 2019
Topic: Ordinary Time / The Four Marks of the Church
- Ordinary Time celebrates the life and teachings of Jesus
- The Church is holy and apostolic
- The roles of the Bishops and the Pope
“We Believe” book pages: 62-82
Lesson #12 – January 14, 2019
Review of Liturgical Calendar.
Lesson #11 – January 7, 2019
Topic: The Church Year
- The Church Year is called the Liturgical Calendar
- Why does the priest wear different colors at different times? (Green, Purple, Red, or White?)
- There are six seasons in the Church Year: Advent, Christmas, Ordinary Time, Lent, Tree Days (Easter Triduum), Easter
- The seasons help us grow closer to Jesus
- Nikki shared her new bible with the class and read the story “God Created the World.”
Book Pages: 59-69
Lesson #10 – December 17, 2018
Lesson #9 – December 10, 2018
Topic: A Tour of St. Gabriel’s Church at Advent
- On our Advent Wreath, the rose (pink) candle represents the third Sunday of Advent. It reminds us that the waiting is half over and Jesus is “almost here”
- Mrs. Rishel’s special Advent banners (on display in the church) have special messages for the coming of Jesus
- The St. Gabriel statue is in the church entrance. St. Gabriel was a man who promised Mary that he would become a priest if he were cured of his illness.
- Colored a picture of Mary holding the baby Jesus. The picture resembled the stain glass windows in the church
- Each student shared a special talent
Lesson #8 – December 3, 2018
Lesson #7 – November 19, 2018
Third Grade held their Saint Party – Students shared their Saint Reports.
Lesson #6 – November 12, 2018
Topic: The Church Begins: We learn about the early Church
- The Holy Spirit comes to the disciples
- How does the Church grow?
- The early Church
- The Acts of the Apostles
Book Pages: 43-58
- Chapter test completed in class
- Saint Project due next week
Lesson #5 – October 29, 2018
Full classes were postponed this week, so students could hold a prayer service for The Tree of Life Synagogue.
- Prayer for Peace
- Prayer for Service
- Cards for Police officers
- Introduce Saint Project
Homework: Saint Project and Service Project
Students will research the life of a Saint. Complete instructions Here
Lesson #4 – October 22, 2018
Topic: Christ will come again
- Jesus has power over life and death
- Jesus teaches us to love one another
- What ways can we show that we love others?
- How the Church began
- The Holy Spirit came to the disciples
Book Pages: 35-45
Lesson #3 – October 15, 2018
Topic: Jesus teaches us about God’s love
- Jesus died to save us.
- Jesus teaches us about His kingdom.
- Jesus tells us how much God loves us.
- Chapter 2 test
- The story of Noah
Book Pages: 27
Homework: No Homework, Made crosses of why God loves us.
Lesson #2 – October 1, 2018
Topic: Jesus Teaches us About God’s Love
- Bible – The book in which God’s word is written
- Kingdom of God – the world we make when we use God’s power
- Faith – A gift from God that helps us to believe in Him
- Crucified – Nailed to the cross to die
- Resurrection – When Jesus rose from the dead
- The story of the Mustard Seed (Luke 17:5-6)
Textbook Pages: Chapter 2
Lesson #1 – September 24, 2018
Topic: The Symbols of the Holy Trinity; Getting to know You; Gospel Reflection
Jesus shows us the we are all created and loved by God
The symbols of the Holy Trinity
Getting to Know you
St. Michael the Archangel