3rd Grade, Room 7A – Teachers, Mrs. Stacey Starzynski
Lesson #15 – February 11, 2019
Topic: St. Valentine’s Day; The Church Prays
- Prayer is listening and talking to God
- Jesus taught His disciples The Lord’s Prayer, also called The Our Father
- We can pray at any time and in any place
- There are different types of prayer
- Share your favorite places to pray
“We Believe” Book Pages: 92-97
Lesson #14 – February 4, 2019
Topic: The Church Teaches Us
- The Church is the Body of Christ
- Each person is an important member of the Church
- Church is like our families
- The Church teaches the true message of Christ
“We Believe” Book Pages: 83-91
Lesson #13 – January 28, 2019
Topic: The Four Marks of the Church
- Jesus chose the Apostles to lead the Church
- The Pope and the Bishops are the successors of the Apostles
- Bishops lead local areas of the church. These areas are called dioceses
- The church is one, holy, catholic, and apostolic. We call these characteristics the Marks of the Church
“We Believe” book pages: 75-82
Lesson #12 – January 14, 2019
Review of Liturgical Calendar.
Lesson #11 – January 7, 2019
Topic: The Church Year
- Opening Prayer – “Jesus, help me to spend a few minutes during the week to say hello to You and to ask You to protect me.”
- There are six seasons in the Church Year: Advent, Christmas, Ordinary Time, Lent, Tree Days (Easter Triduum), Easter
- The seasons help us grow closer to Jesus
- Nikki shared her new bible with the class and read the story “God Created the World.”
Book Pages: 59-64
Lesson #10 – December 17, 2018
Lesson #9 – December 10, 2018
Topic: A Tour of St. Gabriel’s Church at Advent
- On our Advent Wreath, the rose (pink) candle represents the third Sunday of Advent. It reminds us that the waiting is half over and Jesus is “almost here”
- Mrs. Rishel’s special Advent banners (on display in the church) have special messages for the coming of Jesus
- The St. Gabriel statue is in the church entrance. St. Gabriel was a man who promised Mary that he would become a priest if he were cured of his illness.
- Colored a picture of Mary holding the baby Jesus. The picture resembled the stain glass windows in the church
- Each student shared a special talent
Lesson #8 – December 3, 2018
Lesson #7 – November 19, 2018
Third Grade held their Saint Party – Students shared their Saint Reports.
Lesson #6 – November 12, 2018
Topic: The Early Church
- The Apostles lead the early church and followers of Jesus stood up for their faith.
- Apostles told everyone about Jesus, everywhere they went. This is how they formed the church.
- Jesus sent the Apostles out to “make disciples of all nations.”
- The Gospel is the good news.
- Martyrs are people who die for their faith.
- Discussed Saint Projects – due next week.
Book Pages: 51-56
- Project on page 56 (completed in class)
Lesson #5 – October 29, 2018
Full classes were postponed this week, so students could hold a prayer service for The Tree of Life Synagogue.
- Prayer for Peace
- Prayer for Service
- Cards for Police officers
- Introduce Saint Project
Homework: Saint Project and Service Project
Students will research the life of a Saint. Complete instructions Here
Lesson #4 – October 22, 2018
Topic: The Church Begins
- Jesus promised to send the Holy Spirit upon his disciples so that they weren’t afraid when they preached about Him.
- Jesus ascended into heaven and returned to His Father.
- After receiving the Holy Spirit, the disciples began to spread the word of Jesus.
- The day when the Holy Spirit came to the apostles is called Pentecost.
- The Apostles began preaching the Good News of Jesus and communities of believers grew everywhere.
- This is how the Church began, with many followers of Jesus called Christians.
Book Pages: 43-47
Lesson #3 – October 15, 2018
Topic: Christ Will Come Again
- Jesus has power over life and death; Jesus will come again
- Lazarus was Jesus’ friend. Jesus raised Lazarus from the dead and people called Jesus the Messiah.
- Jesus performed many miracles.
- Heaven is life with God forever.
- Jesus teaches us to love other s and to show our kindness.
- Discussed page 30 and the picture. Students shared stories about how to help the boy in the picture.
Book Pages: 35-30
Homework: Started little journals for the important things we learn in class
Lesson #2 – October 1, 2018
Topic: Jesus Teaches us About God’s Love
- Bible – The book in which God’s word is written
- Kingdom of God – the world we make when we use God’s power
- Faith – A gift from God that helps us to believe in Him
- Crucified – Nailed to the cross to die
- Resurrection – When Jesus rose from the dead
- The story of the Mustard Seed (Luke 17:5-6)
Textbook Pages: Chapter 2
Lesson #1 – September 24, 2018
Topic: The Holy Trinity
- The Holy Trinity is three persons in one God: God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit
- Jesus grew up in Nazareth. He learned a lot from His foster father, Joseph.
- Jesus was lost, then found at the temple when he was 12. Losing her son was Mary’s first great sorrow.
- The first disciples followed Jesus. We can all be disciples.
Textbook Pages: 20 – 23
Homework: Share the “Sharing your Faith” activity with your family. Describe the pictures in the handout.