2nd Grade – Teacher, Mrs. Byers
Lesson #8 – December 3, 2018
Topic: The Church Year
- The church year is made up of special times called seasons.
- In Advent, we prepare for the coming of the Son of God. At Christmas, we celebrate the birth of Jesus.
- In Lent, we get ready for the church’s greatest celebration. The Three Days called the Triduum remember the death and resurrection of Jesus.
- Easter we rejoice that Jesus rose from the dead to new life.
- Ordinary time we celebrate the life & teachings of Jesus.
Lesson #7 – November 19, 2018
Topic: The Catholic Church Celebrates 7 Sacraments.
- In Baptism we become children of God & members of the church.
- In Reconciliation God forgives us our sins.
- In Eucharist we receive the Body & Blood of Christ.
- In Confirmation we become stronger followers of Jesus.
- The remaining sacraments are the Anointing of the Sick, Matrimony, & Holy Orders.
Lesson #6 – November 12, 2018
Students went to church and discussed mass and the Sacraments.
Lesson #5 – October 29, 2018
Full classes were postponed this week, so students could hold a prayer service for The Tree of Life Synagogue.
Topic: The Bible is a book of God’s Word.
- In the Old Testament we learn of God’s love & faithfulness to his people Israel.
- In the New Testament we learn of The Life, Death, Resurrection, & Ascension of Jesus Christ.
- Jesus shows us the way, the truth, & the light.
Lesson #4 – October 22, 2018
Topic: Mary is the Mother of Jesus & is our Mother.
- Mary was free from sin from the very 1st moment of her life.
- The Rosary is a prayer in honor of Mary.
- As we pray each set of 10 beads, we think about the lives of Jesus & Mary
Lesson #3 – October 15, 2018
- Good Friday – Jesus was put to death on a cross to save us.
- Easter Sunday – Jesus rose from the dead.
- Ascension – Jesus returned to Heaven to the Father
- Pentecost – the Holy Spirit came to the disciples
Lesson #2 – October 1, 2018
Topic: The Blessed Trinity
- We call the Three Persons in One God “The Blessed Trinity” : Father, Son, & Holy Spirit.
- Jesus is the Son of God, so He is Divine.
- Jesus is the Son of Mary, so He is human like us.
In the 2nd grade handbook, there are 11 prayers listed. We will say our prayers at the beginning of each class. A reward is given to every student when they memorize a prayer.
Textbook Pages: none
Lesson #1 – September 24, 2018
Topic: Amen : I believe!
- There is one God.
- God is 3 Persons : Father, Son, & Holy Spirit. Jesus is the Son of God , our Savior, our Redeemer.
- The holy Family is Jesus, Mary, & Joseph (JMJ)